Forrestfield Veterinary Hospital
313 Hale Road
Wattle Grove, WA, 6107

reception@forrestfieldvet.com.au
Phone: 08 9453 1290

High Wycombe Veterinary Hospital
548 Kalamunda Road
High Wycombe, WA, 6057

reception@highwycombevet.com.au
Phone: 08 9454 6915
Banner image

Have you noticed how bad the mozzies have been lately? The chances are, so has your dog!! And with more mozzies comes more risk of Heartworm for your canine family member. So, the current mosquito risk is a timely reminder to our clients to make sure your dog is properly covered with a yearly or monthly Heartworm preventative.

The unseasonal January rains that resulted in Perth having the wettest summer on record in the last 2 months, have already prompted warnings from the WA Health Department about mosquito numbers & the increased risk of spreading human diseases such as Ross River Virus. However, many of the mozzie species that carry RRV, also transmit Heartworm to our dogs, so it follows that dogs have an increased Heartworm risk also.

Just  a quick refresher on Heartworm in dogs

- A bite from a mosquito carrying Heartworm larvae is the ONLY way your dog can get Heartworm

- The parasite is insidious because it grows over 6 months from a size small enough to go through a mosquito’s mouth parts to a huge worm that can block up the major blood vessels in the heart.

- The emphasis with Heartworm is on PREVENTION. We can’t stop the mozzies biting our pets, but we CAN stop the worm from surviving in the dog’s body once it is bitten, & that’s how Heartworm treatments work.

- If your dog is NOT on prevention, prevention has lapsed, or you have missed doses over the time, it is “at risk”.

- We can do a simple Heartworm blood test in a consultation to tell whether your dog already has the worm.

Forrestfield & High Wycombe Vet Hospitals recommend the most convenient & best way to prevent heartworm is via the ONCE A YEAR injection. It’s cheaper or similar pricing to most monthly products, & there is less to remember as it protects for a full 12 months. It’s also great when you may have forgotten to give your preventative or are a little late in giving it, as its effect reaches back 90 days & kills all worms contracted in that time.  The various Monthly products given as chews, tablets or spotton type applications also work very well, as long as they are given on time & regularly.

So don’t be bitten by the increased mozzie risk this year. Ring us for advice, or an appointment to get your dog protected from Heartworm.

Mosquito3

The same mozzies that bite us transmit Heartworm to our best friends.

Contents of this newsletter

01  Annual Easter Bunny alert

02  Cushing's disease case study

03  Rat bait ingestion - what you need to know

04  Inspiration: an indoor cat fantasyland

01 Annual Easter Bunny alert
SetWidth170-iStock-97866307
SetWidth170-iStock-517473056

As the Easter Bunny gears up to make his deliveries, it is our job to remind you keep ALL chocolate out of paw's reach.

Our canine friends are specifically designed to seek out any morsel of chocolate - big or small, wrapped or unwrapped!

The problem is, chocolate contains a derivative of caffeine called theobromine and dogs have trouble digesting this ingredient.

Scarily, theobromine ingestion can be fatal in some dogs. 

Watch out for:

  • Hyperactivity
  • Tremors, panting and a racing heart
  • Vomiting and diarrhoea
  • Seizures

As a general rule, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is - but if your dog finds your Easter egg stash, it's best to call us immediately as ANY amount of ANY type of chocolate (white and milk included) can cause a problem.

In most cases, if we are able to make your dog vomit we can prevent any nasty follow on effects. 

Don't forget: sultanas and raisins can cause acute kidney failure in dogs so you'll also need to keep hot cross buns off their menu this Easter. 

If you are worried about your pet this Easter you should ask us for advice. 

02 Cushing's disease case study
SetWidth170-iStock-104787051
SetWidth170-iStock-521624342

Jimmy is a 9 year old Maltese cross. This boisterous little man was thirstier than normal and had suddenly started to wee in the house. His owners noticed he had a bit of a pot belly but had put this down to Jimmy getting older.

A veterinary examination was just what the doctor ordered and blood and urine testing revealed that Jimmy had an endocrine disorder known as Cushing's disease.

Cushing's is a common endocrine disease seen in dogs. It is slow and progressive and is caused by the overproduction of the stress hormone cortisol.

Cortisol is a normal hormone produced by the adrenal gland and is essential for normal body function. However in some animals this gland produces too much cortisol and this can have a serious impact on your pet’s quality of life.

Sometimes Cushing's can be caused by an external source of cortisol, such as the long term administration of cortisone.

Common symptoms of Cushing's disease include:

  • Excessive thirst, appetite and urination
  • Pot belly
  • Skin problems, thin skin and hair loss
  • Heat intolerance and excessive panting
  • Lethargy

Jimmy has now commenced daily medication and requires close and careful monitoring but he is thankfully doing very well.

This is just another reason why we need to perform regular health checks on your pet. If we are able to detect and commence treatment early we can slow the progression of diseases and help your pet live a longer and healthier life.

If you have any concerns about your pet, please call us to arrange a check up. 

03 Rat bait ingestion - what you need to know
SetWidth170-iStock-507209918
SetWidth170-iStock-140268253

The poison used to kill rats and mice interferes with blood clotting. These products are just as toxic to dogs and cats, and alarmingly your pets may even seek these poisons out.

What to do if your pet finds rat bait:

If you know that your pet has eaten rat bait, have them checked by a vet as soon as possible. If seen immediately, your pet can be made to vomit which reduces toxin absorption. Sometimes blood tests, or administration of an antidote may be necessary.

If your pet is already showing signs of bleeding, they may require supportive care, transfusion of blood products and the antidote.

Clinical signs are usually present anywhere from 1 to 7 days after ingestion (depending on type and amount of poison ingested).

How to know if your pet has eaten rat bait:

  • Your pet may be quiet or lethargic
  • A cough or breathing problems (if they bleed into the lungs)
  • They may collapse
  • Sometimes there will be visible signs of bleeding (on the gums,in urine, or nose bleeds)

If you think your pet might have eaten rat bait, please phone us immediately for advice.

04 Inspiration: an indoor cat fantasyland

Ever wonder if 15 cats could live happily together? This video is proof that they can.

We think this house is pretty amazing and it just goes to show that cats can live harmoniously together if they are provided with the right environment and enough litter trays! We also love that all of these cats have been rescued from a shelter.

This heartwarming story will bring a smile to your face and might even inspire you to do some renovating - check it out!

Burmese cat looking at camera